If you are visiting the Greater Toronto area, Markham has to be on your list.
We walked for hours in and around the Rogue River. It is very big and beautiful park. You can also visit the Rouge River brewing company.
Places to visit
- The historical route of Yongestreet from 1794 connects two rivers.
- We had a fun picnic at the Milne Dam conservation park which is spread across 305 acres comprising of a big forested area, fishing area, bird spotting, and walking trails.
- I was marveled to see the vernacular carpenter gothic style of architecture of the Markham GO railway station built in 1871 and Locust Station which was built in 1936.
- We played a couple of rounds of golf at the Angus Glen golf club.
- You can’t miss watching a play at any theatres in Markham. Our kids loved the show at the Markham youth theatre.
- Frederick Horsman Varley Art Gallery is a must visit for art lovers.
- We spent a full day at the Markham Museum, an urban center exhibiting an old rural village. The 25-acre complex contains around 30 buildings such a log cabin, the oldest church of Markham, blacksmith shop, a printing shop etc. They house 3 indoor exhibitions of activities and cool artifacts. You can enroll your tiny tots in one of their day programs.
- We attended the Sugarbush Maple syrup festival at the Bruce Mills Conservation Park. My buddy, Brandon, who operates one of the most successful roofing companies in Charlotte, has a passion for all-things maple syrup & this place reminded me of him and his similar experiences in the western mountains of North Carolina. Back to our story, the maple syrup over the pancakes is a pure delight and tastes absolutely amazing. Also, the park has picnic trails, BMX track, and hiking trails. You can op your own canopies too there.
- We did biking at Toogood Pond Park. Don’t forget to wear helmets. The park has picnic tables, open fields, and a pond.
- As per the locals, the best time to visit Markham is the Thanksgiving season and witness the fun fair which is the biggest community fair of Canada.